Saturday, April 5, 2008

Subtleties

I am still blogging from the Austin, TX, 2008 International Symposium for Online Journalism, and today we are listening to all the academics tell the journalists what they have been researching. Well... some of the journalists... there are about half as many people here today as there were yesterday. A shame since I think this is a great opportunity for professionals to take back to their newsrooms some audience and production research for free.
One thing that has struck me in these presentations is the desire to move from the obvious to the subtle:
Are newsrooms advocating cross platform content or cross media content?
Are they practicing convergence or integration of their print and online products?
I like that are starting to think about the emergent phenomenon of online news in such nuanced ways right now, but I worry that as academics we get caught up in labeling and categorizing at the expense of really exploring what it all means on a conceptual level.

No comments: