For all those J561ers, let me know:
1) what are your plans after graduation, and
2) how do you think you might use media theory in your personal/professional life? (errr... and tell me if you don't think you ever would, but I am really curious to know if any particular theorists appealed to you and whether an idea or two struck you as being particularly relevant for your media habits or your career plans).
Thursday, May 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Dear Sue,
I pray you are counting this as a blog post.
1) I am graduating.
2) I'm not sure. I don't know if I will use the theory directly, i.e. OMG this makes me think of Carey or Lippman, etc. But I do think that some of the general ideas about rituals, audiences, media ownership, representation, etc. I will for sure apply to my life and my career. I find myself doing it now in the articles I read, the discussions I have with friends, and considering I am planning on getting a job in journalism whenever one of the million people I sent my resume to decides to call me back, I am sure many of the topics we discussed will come up again. Not to mention I am on Facebook everyday, which came up in almost every class one way or another.
But I think that's the great thing about every class, esp. in the J-school because we delve into issues of media which is EVERYWHERE. I have found that with every J-school class I have taken I apply the things I have learned to many aspects of my daily life. I can't flip through a magazine anymore without scrutinizing the advertisements for appeals, nor noticing the different types of lead in a paper. I guess what I'm saying is, I think I got a pretty good education, since I seem to be applying it to my life. COOL!
I am graduating. This class will help me a lot next year for my future. I am working for a communications company that produces medical publications electronically and in print (but they are different types of publications). I directly will apply the discussions our class had about the ethics of online journalism compared to print journalism. My boss spoke to me about the difference between the online/offline publications. We actually had a debate about journalism ethics online and offline. I talked to him about this class and I thought back to the Gannett Code of Ethics (Do the same ethics apply online and in print?). In addition I also will be using the theories we learned about ritual/advertising from Schudson because I will also be creating ads. I also will be using the theories we learned about audiences because I need to target different niche markets online and in print. Basically, I will be using a lot of theories and discussions from J561 since I am working in media and in journalism.
I am graduating. This class will help me a lot next year for my future. I am working for a communications company that produces medical publications electronically and in print (but they are different types of publications). I directly will apply the discussions our class had about the ethics of online journalism compared to print journalism. My boss spoke to me about the difference between the online/offline publications. We actually had a debate about journalism ethics online and offline. I talked to him about this class and I thought back to the Gannett Code of Ethics (Do the same ethics apply online and in print?). In addition I also will be using the theories we learned about ritual/advertising from Schudson because I will also be creating ads. I also will be using the theories we learned about audiences because I need to target different niche markets online and in print. Basically, I will be using a lot of theories and discussions from J561 since I am working in media and in journalism.
I am graduating and moving to NY in about 3 weeks. I got a job working for a post graduate college doing event planning for their art museum and working on their national PR team.
I think I will use the ideas I learned in this class when I am working on marketing the college to the media and trying to figure out which media would work best for which kind of coverage.
Post a Comment