From University of Wisconsin-Madison student Katrina Rust:
As news media struggle to stay afloat, most are being forced to shed
staff and try new approaches for engaging readers. The MinnPost is a
yearish-old nonprofit online newspaper trying to sustain itself and a
small staff of reporters on not just foundation money, but also
memberships and advertising. Joel Kramer, former editor and publisher
of the Star Tribune in Minneapolis and founder of MinnPost, shares how
he hopes MinnPost will be a successful news model in this story.
One thing that sets MinnPost apart, besides revenue sources, is the
site has stricter moderation of comments. I know people are all
excited about how online news can be interactive and a conversation,
but often people leave obnoxious comments that defeat any attempt at a
thoughtful exchange of ideas. MinnPost commenters have to give their
full names and can’t say hateful or obscene things.
While I hadn’t heard of MinnPost before, now I’m hoping for its
survival. Kramer’s perspective gives me hope that serious, quality
news outlets may survive (and I can find a job).
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for finding us, Sue! Appreciate your post.
Post a Comment