This is from Rachel Shulman, a student at UW-Madison:
Prof. Sue Robinson recently sent around this story on how the internet is killing storytelling. In it, Ben Macintyre laments the demise of the narrative. He blames the spawn of the digital age – Twitter, Facebook, blogs, smart phone applications – for the imperilment of the long-form story. According to Macintyre, our reliance on a medium of “interactive chatter and noise” is eroding our culture.
When I read this story, I couldn’t help but be reminded of the philosophy of Neil Postman, a media theorist who was most well known for his 1985 book on television, Amusing Ourselves to Death. Postman deplored technology’s ability to distribute more information faster, arguing that it fills our heads with fragments of irrelevant, disorderly, and superficial information. Postman feared that television meant the demise of the written language and reason; he predicted that its rise signaled the demise of cultural values. Sound familiar?
I don’t think that Postman nor Macintyre give the story reader/listener/watcher enough credit. Long-form narratives aren’t dying – they’re just changing. The internet allows users to piece together their own multi-media narratives from many different sources. I don’t think we can ascribe any more value to narratives that follow a prescribed (and often predictable) structure determined by the storyteller than narratives that follow a network-based structure determined by the user.
4 comments:
Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.
AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.
It is based in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!
I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://hinizihazu.lookseekpages.com/kolaci.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to become rich
Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of troubles when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in large starting capital.
Now, I feel good, I started to get real income.
It gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, and shares the income with me.
You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to answer the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]
I have found it on this website called [url=http://tipswift.com]tip swift[/url]. You can find it there.
cheers
edit: wrong post
Post a Comment