An ancient way of providing emphasis to chants, troping is alternatively an introduction, an invitation, and a communion. Tropes encourage dialogue and drama, often in nonliteral, lyrical, multimedia dimensions. A work in progress, MediaTrope shall be such a vehicle for media and technology news, with an emphasis on journalism. At times, the blog will act as clearinghouse, at times as aggregator for interesting media news. Once in a while, the blog will demonstrate rationality; most times, it will just be irritating as hell. I started it as a teaching tool for my journalism classes, but I’m hoping any and all will find incentive to jump into the fray, and attempt a little troping of their own. Feedback on blog content is always appreciated: robinson4@wisc.edu. Though I am associated with the university, I should note here that the views expressed here in no way represent the university or the School of Journalism & Mass Communication. So don’t blame them for anything you see here.
I am an assistant professor of journalism at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in its School of Journalism and Mass Communication. I spent more than a dozen years as a working journalist (mostly as a business reporter) with Ottaway and Gannett at newspapers in New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and New Jersey. For a couple years I freelanced for the Associated Press in Boston and the Boston Globe, among others. I received my master’s from Northeastern and my PhD from Temple. I teach newswriting classes and mass comm. theory, and help oversee the School’s master’s professional track journalism program. It’s a pretty great gig. For more information on me, visit my bio at the School: http://www.journalism.wisc.edu/faculty
/robinsonbio.html.
No comments:
Post a Comment